This mouthwatering fresh cherry pie is equally as delicious as it is beautiful and presentable. At the Huna Farm, we’re lucky enough to pick our own fresh cherries from the trees in our backyard orchard. We clean and pit them immediately, then straight into the pot to cook up a fresh batch of the most amazing, simple and dare I say healthy- cherry pie filling. It doesn’t get any more farm fresh than that!
I promise you’ve never tasted cherry pie as good as this. Once you try this fresh homemade cherry pie and realize just how simple and easy it is to make from scratch from basic healthy ingredients- you’ll never want a grocery-store cherry pie with the canned filling ever again!
This entire cherry pie has 8 ingredients, and they are all healthy and wholesome. The best part is, you don’t need fresh-picked cherries straight from the tree to make a delicious and easy cherry pie. But you do need fresh cherries for this recipe. So, when the cherry season is at its peak in the summer months- be sure to pick some up at your local farmers market or grocer and give this pie a try. Cherry season is normally around end of June in BC, but this year (2022) it was delayed into July due to the weather.
What I love most about this pie is that you can customize the sweetness to your taste, and you can even make it totally sweetener-free if you desire. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan and refined sugar-free. It’s an unbelievably delicious pie that is easy & simple to make homemade AND it’s healthy!… What more could you ask for?! And I love using this same pie recipe for nearly any fresh fruit that’s in season…apples, peaches, pears, plums, blueberries…feel free to get creative!
Give this super tasty pie recipe a try and let us know what you think in the comments. Happy cherry season Huna Tribe!
Easy No-Bake Fresh Cherry Pie
Easy 4-Ingredient Date-Nut Pie Crust:
3 cups medjool dates
1/2 cup raw cashew nuts (may substitute almonds, pecans or other nut)
1/2 cup dried coconut (unsweetened, I prefer toasted coconut for deeper flavour)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Easy 4-Ingredient Fresh Cherry Pie Filling:
4 cups of whole, fresh, and pitted cherries
1 tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp. almond extract (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
¼ cup arrowroot starch (may substitute with cornstarch)
Optional: ½ cup maple syrup (if desired, for a sweeter cherry pie)
To make the Fresh Cherry Pie Filling:
- Place the cherries into a large saucepan or pot. Add lemon juice and stir to coat well. Turn on heat to medium-low and cook the cherries, stirring often, until softened, glossy and plump in appearance. (About 10-15mins).
- Remove pie filling from heat. Add extract, arrowroot starch (or substitute), and maple syrup (if desired). Mix well. Place pie filling into fridge to cool down, and make the Easy Date-Nut Pie Crust in the meantime.
To make the Date-Nut Pie Crust:
- Remove pits and tops from medjool dates. If dates are hard, soak in hot water for 10-15mins for softening.
- Place the pitted dates, cashew nuts, dried or toasted coconut, and vanilla extract into a food processor. Process until nuts are crushed smaller, and the overall texture is a smooth and malleable “date dough”.
- Use coconut oil to grease a pie plate. Use your hands to press the date dough into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides, to create a pie crust. No need to bake as this is a no-bake crust. Place in the freezer to firm up for 10-15mins.
- Once the date pie crust has firmed up in the freezer, remove the cherry pie filling from the fridge and give it a good stir. Pour the cherry pie filling over the date pie crust and use a spatula to spread the cherry pie filling evenly.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours to set, or place in the freezer to rapid set in 30-60mins. Serve cold. Enjoy!
Makes 1 pie. Serves 6-8 people.
Original Recipe by Huna Skin Inc. Copyright Protected 2022.