10 Best Beauty Hacks using Sandalwood Powder
The word about Sandalwood powder and its effectiveness as a beauty treatment is getting out! Many people have used Sandalwood powder (aka Chandan) to obtain clear, healthy and radiant skin for centuries. The most important thing to consider when searching for Sandalwood powder for your beauty routine, is to ensure you are purchasing it from a trusted source. Sandalwood powder comes from the bark of the Sandalwood tree, which is an endangered and threatened species, so be sure you are purchasing the New Caledonian type (santalum spicatum or santalum austrocaledonicum) Sandalwood powder, which is ethically and sustainably grown and sourced from Australia or New Caledonia. (Like this huna Clarify + Refine Sandalwood Microdermabrasion + Mask, from huna Natural Apothecary).
Once you have your high-quality, pure Sandalwood powder in hand, you have a powerful, multi-purpose, natural anti-age & anti-acne remedy that will give your skin real results. Check out the list below for the top 10 best beauty hacks using pure Sandalwood powder, and watch your skin transform for the better!
- Face Exfoliant – Once to twice weekly, use Sandalwood powder (mixed with equal-part water) as a facial exfoliator…it provides amazing microdermabrasion-like results. High-quality Sandalwood powder is milled super-fine and works to gently-yet-powerfully buff away dry, dead skin cells and boost circulation to the skin surface. Using light-pressure with your fingertips, gently massage the paste in an upward, circular motion around the face. Rinse thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water, and your skin is left looking radiant, even-toned and feeling super-soft and smooth. If your skin is on the dry-side, substitute whole milk, coconut milk or rosewater in place of water for an added moisture-boost.
- Anti-Acne Face Mask – Sandalwood powder has potent antibacterial and antiseptic properties, and is an effective anti-inflammatory, so it works great to clear skin of acne and keep skin clear with continued use. Create a paste by mixing equal-part Sandalwood powder and water, and spread evenly over entire face. Allow the mask to dry, leaving on skin for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water. Use this mask 1-3 times per week to clear skin and prevent new blemishes from forming. (Tip: some people report mixing a small amount of Turmeric into the face mask, to boost the acne-fighting effects!)
- Age-Grace Face Mask – Create an effective natural age-grace (aka anti-aging) face mask to fade sun damage, even tone, brighten, boost circulation, clarify and firm skin. Sandalwood powder is a powerful astringent, which firms and tones skin. Mix equal part Sandalwood powder with rosewater, coconut milk, whole milk or raw honey to create a paste. Spread the paste over face, and exfoliate skin in an upward, circular motion for 1-2 minutes. Leave the paste on skin for 10-20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Face & Body Dusting Powder – Sandalwood powder has a natural cooling effect on the skin, and provides pigment to natural dusting powder bases such as arrowroot powder. To create a cooling, skin-loving, silky face & body powder, try mixing 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder and ½ teaspoon tapioca powder as the base. If you plan to use this as a face powder and you have it on-hand, add ½-1 teaspoon sericite mica (if not, you can leave it out). Sandalwood powder offers pigment to the powder, so add the amount which suits your skin tone (and consider this powder will offer light, translucent coverage). Mix together evenly and put into a cosmetic dusting jar or powder shaker for dispensing.
- Blemish spot-treatment – As mentioned in point 2, Sandalwood’s anti-bacterial, anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties make it an unbeatable anti-blemish treatment. Mix a small amount of Sandalwood powder with a few drops of water or witch hazel to create a paste, and apply to clean blemish spots. Leave paste on blemish for a minimum of 30 minutes, but for best results try leaving on for 2-3 hours (or even overnight).
- Sunburn skin-soothing therapy – Sandalwood’s natural cooling feeling, combined with its anti-inflammatory and skin healing benefits make it a great treatment for soothing sunburn. Create a cooling-paste by mixing equal-part Sandalwood powder with water, milk or plain yogurt. Apply to clean sunburned skin, however avoid any severely burned, blistered or otherwise broken skin. This mask will cool sunburned skin, while it promotes healing and skin repair. Do not exfoliate, just leave sitting on skin for desired amount of time. Rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- Smooth fine lines & wrinkles – Regular exfoliation and face mask treatments using Sandalwood powder will smooth and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Focus on lightly and gently buffing skin areas which are affected by fine lines and wrinkling skin, by exfoliating in an even upward, circular motion. Follow every exfoliation using Sandalwood powder with a face mask treatment of 10-20 minutes, allowing the mask to dry completely. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm or cool water, and notice your skin will be immediately more toned and firm-looking, thanks to its effective astringent action.
- Under-eye treatment – Sandalwood works well to reduce and remove dark under-eye circles, puffiness and bags. Combine a touch of Sandalwood powder with rosewater to create a watery paste, and apply a small amount to the skin under the eyes by gently patting. Leave on for a few hours at night, or overnight for best results. Rinse gently and thoroughly with cool water.
- As a moisture-booster – Add a touch of Sandalwood powder, or a few drops of high-quality essential oil to your favourite body oil or moisturizer for a skin-softening, soothing and moisturizing boost!
- Scent your skevies like the divine – High-quality Sandalwood powder smells so wonderful and is quite potent. It offers a warm, soft and sexy scent to your clothes drawers and closets, so try putting a small amount into a breathable pouch to give a light scent of divine to your skevies! 😉
If you’re searching for high-quality, cosmetic-milled, ethical and sustainably-sourced Sandalwood powder, look no further! huna Natural Apothecary’s Clarify + Refine Sandalwood Microdermabrasion + Mask is made of 100% pure New Caledonian Sandalwood powder, imported from Australia and fine-milled & triple-filtered to deliver amazing beauty results!