10 Secrets to Age with Grace
In a conversation with a friend last week, we discussed the damages of ultraviolet (UV) sun exposure on skin. She was on the search for a great sunscreen, and I think she was surprised to hear that UV exposure is responsible for up to 90% of premature aging in the skin. There is no doubt, that using a quality broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen to protect your beautiful skin is simply one of the best age-grace (anti-age) solutions out there.
Now being the founder & formulator of huna Natural Apothecary- a natural + organic skincare company, I’d love to sell you a bottle of instant-everlasting-youth-serum… But truthfully, if you want your skin to looks its absolute very best- healthy, vibrant and glowing- then you will need to work for it. Your skin expects and deserves a considerate skincare routine to look its very best. Skin health is comprehensive- it is both external AND internal. It really does come down to leading a healthy and balanced overall lifestyle. The fountain of youth is not in a bottle, it is the accumulation of your daily habits and practices. Below are huna’s Top 10 Secrets to Aging with Grace- to keep your skin healthy, glowing + naturally lovely for years to come. Cheers to healthy-living and aging gracefully, from the inside-out!
- Responsible Sun protection – wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with UVA/UVB protection EVERY SINGLE DAY that you will be outside- even if it’s just for a trip to the grocery store. The thing about UV damage is that it develops and accumulates over time. Each little unprotected exposure, no matter how harmless each may seem, really does add up to equal long-term significant damage. Other tips to be UV-smart; chill in the shade, rock a sassy hat, wear light & loose-fitting cotton clothes and keep skin covered, hello year-round sunglasses (always chic!), and consider staying indoors or limiting exposure when the sun is at its peak hours, approximately 10am-3pm in most regions.
- Eat well – whatever that may mean for you, it translates to eating a balanced diet that includes a generous amount of vegetables + fruits daily. Food fuels the body and keeps the regular functions operating- think cell regeneration, respiration, digestion, and so on. Healthy food in, means healthy output- a well-functioning body. Nourish your body with skin-improving foods, like dark leafy greens, antioxidant-loaded berries, avocados, and healthy fats for essential fatty acids (chia, hemp and pumpkin seeds, nuts, coconut & olive oils, and certain fish). These foods keep your skin nourished, healthy-looking, balanced and glowing. I love smoothies for packing in tons of veggie-loaded goodness, while concealing dark leafy greens as a fruity treat…yum!
- Sweat regularly – working out gets your blood pumping, circulation moving, and sweat glands producing, which translates into beautiful glowing skin. As you sweat, it actually dilates pores and at the same time expels impurities from your pores, which is why washing your face post-workout is a must. Just one more reason to sweat it up regularly- healthy body, healthy + balanced mind, AND beautiful glowing skin. Dang…where’s my yoga mat?!
- Chillax – that means chill n’ relax folks. Whatever your way to chillax is, make sure you carve out time to return your crazy-self back to feeling refreshed and balanced. Do it, and do it often. Meditation, yoga, a massage, day at the spa, spending time in nature, writing in your journal, cooking, gardening, napping…okay, not sure if that last one counts, but you get the point- whatever floats your boat, makes you smile, makes you feel well. That’s your chillax thing, so rock it.
- Hydration! – keep skin hydrated and protect against TEWL (trans-epidermal water loss) by applying a quality natural face serum or moisturizer, day and night. If your skin is on the dry side, you may want to use both an oil-based serum such as Revitalize Age-Grace Face Serum, along with a daily moisturizer like Rejuvenate Age-Grace Featherlight Face Lotion. Hydration literally gives the skin a more plump and toned appearance. And be sure to drink that holy grail goal of 8 glasses of water daily, to keep your skin and body hydrated from the inside-out.
- Great Skincare Routine – of course this is an essential. Treat your skin well with a solid skincare routine. Cleanse daily, or even twice daily with a quality natural cleanser. huna’s natural-based cleansers are developed to respect the skin’s gentle mantle layer while cleansing, to avoid stripping or damaging the skin while effectively removing sunscreen, cosmetics, environmental pollutants + impurities. Following cleansing, you may wish to apply a face toner, before using a natural moisturizer to nourish and protect. If you layer products, huna recommends applying water-based products closest to the skin for easiest absorption. Start with a hydrating water-based face lotion or moisturizer, then apply a moisturizing oil-based face serum, follow with your mineral sunscreen, and lastly cosmetics. Be sure to remove all that in the evening before going to bed (an absolute must!), and apply your eye serum, lip moisturizer and nail care products, if you choose.
- Exfoliation – essential to every great skincare routine, which was not already mentioned above-is a great exfoliation product made with natural ingredients. Exfoliation removes dry, dead skin cells to leave radiant, fresh-looking skin behind. Incorporated into a regular skincare routine, exfoliation will improve the appearance of your skin by refining tone + texture, minimizing the appearance of pores + fine lines, improving circulation, gently buffing away spots, and deeply cleansing pores to remove pore-clogging impurities. Read more about exfoliation in huna’s Skin Exfoliation 101 Blog, and shop our online store for sustainably-sourced, organic + premium quality natural exfoliation products.
- Manage your stress – keep stress levels manageable, before it has the chance to rear its less-than-lovely look on your skin. Fitness is a great way to manage daily stressors, or perhaps a mediation practice, hanging out with pets, or doing your favourite chillax activity (see #4).
- Healthy Lifestyle – maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle means more than just working out + eating well. Consider your sleep schedule and whether you are getting enough sleep (ideally 7-9 hours nightly). Avoid an overindulgent lifestyle by limiting alcohol, smoking, sugars and refined foods. And very importantly- maintain a positive and optimistic outlook. Cheers to living a happy life!
- Have fun! – I am convinced everyone just looks more beautiful and radiant when they are genuinely happy and smiling…so let yourself have fun, smile and enjoy the little things each day.
Until next time, take care + keep well!